Re: desktop @ debconf

Em Wed, 19 May 2004 21:04:13 -0500, David Moreno Garza <damog@damog.net>
escreveu:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if any talk or BOF is intended for DebConf4, next week
> in Porto Alegre.
>
> Is there any effort on this?

Not that I kwew, but we actually, as you well know =), scheduled and
made one happen.

We had some discussions, mainly on system configuration issues. We
talked about possible stuff to work during debconf. The wiki and
the debian-desktop pages were mentioned and people encouraged to
subscribe to this list and help move things on.

We discussed:

- Desktop-based System Configuration
	-> debconf problems and solutions
		-> configlets (progeny)
	-> central configuration technologies
		-> config4gnu
- System-Wide Integration
	-> d-bus, hal, udev (project utopia)
	-> discover, kudzu
	-> user priviledges

The discussion about this authorization server was considered
to be very important, as it solves a lot of problems, and it
was pointed out that Carlos Pereló Marin, who is a GNOME developer
and a debianer  is trying to start developing one based
on apple stuff:

http://carlos.pemas.net/svn/public/secserver/trunk/
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Security/Conceptual/authorization_concepts/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000995
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Security/Authorization-date.html

There was also some small discussion on the www.debian-desktop.org
stuff, what do people think we from debconf could do on this front?

Basically, I would say our tasks for debconf would be checking
debconf-using packages to see if they use it in a way that
helps desktop and cdd's, because we have similar requirements
here, taking a look at the secserver stuff and at configlets.

Also, we should start thinking about ways to improve overall
system integration with tools like d-bus and stuff.

Anyone would like to comment on this?

Thanks!

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org>     | http://beterraba.no-ip.org/~kov