Fwd: Ubiquiti EdgeMAX EdgeRouter: invitation to join the Debian derivatives census (Ubiquiti Networks Subscription Update)

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Ubiquiti Community <community_noreply@ubnt.com>
Date: Sat, Oct 13, 2018, 10:03
To: <jhilakshi@gmail.com>

Hi boomselector,

lanefu (New Member) posted a new reply in EdgeRouter on 10-13-2018 07:03 AM :

Re: Ubiquiti EdgeMAX EdgeRouter: invitation to join the Debian derivatives census

This invitation does bring up some serious roadmap questions that I have.

As far as I've seen.. EdgeOS is still based on Debian Wheezy. Wheezy's Long-Term-Support has expired. It is only receiving security updates via Extended LTS. (https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Extended) How will EdgeOS continue to receive security updates? Is UBNT investing in the Extended LTS?

Because of the introduction of systemd and other major changes, the transition of many debian derivative projects from Wheezy to Jessie has been challenging... (fortunately less intense between Jessie and Stretch) VyOS has made good progress in transition to Jessie via their 1.2 build, but given the implied decoupling of EdgeOS from VyOS, how will EdgeOS truly stay secure and supported?

PS I hope UBNT joins the list debian derivatives