Debian derivatives census: Deepin: welcome!

Hi Felix,

I would like to welcome yourself and Deepin to the Debian derivatives
census! Would you like to take this opportunity to introduce yourself
and Deepin to us all?

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Deepin

It would be great if you could join our mailing list and IRC channel:

https://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

I would encourage you to look at Debian's guidelines for derivatives:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines

You may want to look at our census QA page, some of the mails from
there may apply to Deepin.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA

You don't appear to be subscribed to the Deepin census page,
I've made a few changes to the Deepin census page:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Deepin?action=info

Please correct the "Archive tool" item in the Deepin census page and
fill out some more of the tool items.

The page says that Deepin modifies Debian binary packages. It is quite
rare that distributions modify Debian binary packages instead of
modifying source packages and rebuilding them. Does Deepin actually do
this? If so could you describe what kind of modifications you are
making? If not I guess the page needs to be fixed.

Some of the Release files in the apt repository for Deepin are missing
the Valid-Until header, which allows clients to find out when active
network attackers are holding back newer Release files. At minimum,
rolling releases and suites containing security updates should have
this header. With reprepro you can use the ValidFor config option.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianRepository/Format#Date.2C_Valid-Until

Are you sure that the Deepin sources.list on the wiki page is correct
and complete? When I was tracking down Deepin sources, I found these:

deb-src http://packages.deepin.com/experimental experimental main
deb-src http://packages.deepin.com/loongson unstable main
deb-src http://packages.deepin.com/deepin-server kui main contrib non-free
deb-src http://packages.deepin.com/deepin-server kui-security main contrib non-free
deb-src http://packages.deepin.com/deepin-debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://packages.deepin.com/deepin unstable main contrib non-free

I've added the Deepin blog to Planet Debian derivatives which helps the
Debian community find out the things that are happening in the world of
Debian derivatives.

http://planet.debian.org/deriv/

Since Deepin is based in China you might be interested in joining
the Debian China group.

https://wiki.debian.org/LocalGroups/Debian-CN

This year the annual Debian conference is in Montreal, Canada.
Unfortunately it is very close to the start of the conference so you
probably won't be able to attend this year, but next year is in
Hsinchu, Taiwan. This appears to be relatively close to the Deepin
location, it would be great if developers from Deepin could attend
DebConf18.

https://debconf17.debconf.org/
https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf18

I would encourage Wuhan Deepin Technology (the Deepin corporate
sponsor) to contribute financially to ensure the continued survival of
Debian and the success of the annual Debian conference.

https://www.debian.org/donations
https://debconf.org/sponsors/
https://debconf17.debconf.org/sponsors/become-a-sponsor/

I would encourage any attendees to volunteer to ensure the continued
the success of the annual Debian conference, here are some examples of
things that need helpers.

https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/VolunteerCoordination

I note that Deepin is based on Debian unstable. A great way to help
ensure that it is working well is to install and run the how-can-i-help
tool and try to work on any issues that come up.

https://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=837
https://packages.debian.org/unstable/how-can-i-help
https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help

You might want to consider adding DNSSEC to your domains, TLSA records
and SSL to some of your domains. I note that the SSL certificate on the
repository has expired, please update it as SSL on the repository will
help Deepin users to obscure package names and version numbers from
global active adversaries. You might also want to add HSTS headers.

http://dnsviz.net/d/deepin.org/
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Guidelines/Web_Security

Please feel free to circulate this mail within the Deepin team.

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise