Re: Ubuntu Bug Fixing Initiatives

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:15:04PM +0200, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> thanks Stefano for reviving this thread.

How about my roundtrip time in this thread, eh? :-P

> We experimented with something like 'bitesize' tasks before. We even
> created a small tool to tag bugs we came across which seemed easy
> enough, with the tag 'bitesize', subscribe ourselves to them (to be able
> to offer help) and add a small help text as a comment. My gut feeling is
> that nobody used it because like Karl mentioned: even with that small
> tool, to the regular maintainer/engineer it felt like too much work to
> identify (even if part of the regular bug work), help, review and sponsor.

Fair enough, thanks for sharing this experience.

> On top of that is the feeling to have cleared a whole list of bugs as a
> team helpful to create a team spirit. In the coming weeks I'll try to
> blog more about the initiative and the people who helped out with it.
>
> If there is more interest in running this initiative together, please
> let me know.
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/BugFixingInitiative

I think the interest is there, at least mine :) The big question is how
to turn it into increased participation in your initiatives. If you've
periodic calls for online meetings to squash some, we can try to
coordinate --- it's not clear to me, at present, what would be the best
Debian venue to announce that, but we can figure something out.

Separately, I've mentioned the above in the ongoing discussion about
Debian participation into Google Code-In. It is still far from clear
that we have volunteer to organize our participation in the initiative,
but if we end up doing it, we'll pick at least some students' task in a
way very similar to what your doing for BugFixingInitiative.

Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .