Re: DEX (Re: derivatives front desk status check)

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 03:53:34PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>> It is a bit stalled indeed. More generally, my feeling is that DEX is
>> doing well in terms of acceptance and (forthcoming) tooling but, at the
>> same time, is having hard time in finding *targets*. Meaning with
>> targets well-defined set of patches in need of merge. We've called for
>> DEX targets repeatedly, including during the DebConf11 events you've
>> mentioned, but with little success thus far.
>>
>> If we want to be optimists, we could conclude that no sets of patches
>> from derivatives are in need of special treatment for being merged. But
>> I seriously doubt that.
>>
>> Hence, we need to figure out why our calls for targets are not working
>> and what could we do about that. Any idea?
>
> To be honest I think a big part of the reason is that my new job diverted my
> attention away from Debian.  I've had very little time to put into DEX,
> either directly or through communication/coordination.
>
> I'd like to see it continue, and maybe can spend some time at UDS in May
> coming up with a plan for that.  Is anyone interested in helping keep it
> going?

I can't say that I have any particularly bright ideas for new targets,
but I've been interested in DEX.

Off the top of my head, Ubuntu has moved python-{central, support} off
of the CD. That could be a nice discrete set of patches, but I haven't
done any analysis of what hasn't already been forwarded.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=pycentral-deprecation;users=debian-python@lists.debian.org

I'll be attending UDS as well.

Thanks!

-- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio