Re: List of upsides/downsides of contributing back to Debian

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> it would be nice to extend http://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk (or
> the FAQ) with a list of reasons why one would want to cooperate more
> closely with Debian (and also to be fair a list of possible downsides).
>
> Here are some of my own elements (that applies in particular for
> a derivative with many new packages to contribute to Debian).

I guess the same sort of things that apply in the relationship between
Debian and our upstreams apply in the relationship between Debian and
our downstreams. I wonder if there are any advantages/disadvantages
that are not applicable to Debian/Fedora/Gentoo/etc and upstreams but
are applicable to Debian/Fedora/Gentoo/etc and downstreams?

> - security support by Debian on your packages once they are in a
>  stable release

In Debian security support is mainly the responsibility of the
maintainer, with the security team as a backup.

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise