Re: Merging forces with Utnubu (was: Re: [RFC] DEX - merging patches from derivatives into Debian)

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 21:05:26 +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 07:32:29PM +0100, David Paleino wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> > mail CCed to the Utnubu mailing list, where some people were interested in
> > reviving the project.
> >
> > On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:06:21 +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >
> > > Inspired by conversations here, and with various people in person and on
> > > IRC, Stefano Zacchiroli and I have set up a new Alioth project called DEX:
> > >
> > > http://dex.alioth.debian.org/
> > >
> > > ...with an appropriately primitive website. :-)
> > >
> > > [..]
> > >
> > > The first DEX team is the Ubuntu one:
> > >
> > > http://dex.alioth.debian.org/ubuntu
> > >
> > > and a few developers have signed up to it already.  We've set a modest
> > > initial goal of clearing a queue of (years) old patches from Ubuntu,
> > > merging them into Debian where appropriate.  We hope to build on that
> > > with larger and more ambitious projects in the future, such as reducing
> > > the ongoing delta between Debian and Ubuntu.
> >
> > Reducing the delta was *exactly* the goal of the Utnubu project.
> > Given that both of us seem to lack manpower, I'd suggest I shut the Utnubu
> > project down, redirecting people to DEX/Ubuntu.
>
> We would be thrilled to welcome people interested in Utnubu to join DEX.
> Thanks!

People, listen Matt, and join DEX/Ubuntu! :)

> > I had started something already:
> >
> >   http://utnubu.alioth.debian.org/missing/
> >
> > Which I believe would be one possible goal for the DEX/Ubuntu team (those
> > pages make queries to UDD, I'll check DEX's infrastructure on how to
> > replicate that).
>
> The infrastructure is just an ikiwiki, which Stefano kindly set up on short
> notice.  What do you need?

Also Utnubu is an ikiwiki. What I meant with "infrastructure" was the set of
scripts, cronjobs and all such machinery that make the site running and
up-to-date :)

However, I found out on my own for the current goal of reviewing the patches.
As soon as I have some spare time, I'll port the current information on the
Utnubu page to the DEX page, making the needed changes (which I hope would be
welcome?)

For the technical details of DEX (coordination between different people,
integration of different scripts, post-commit messages, ...), maybe it would
make sense to host a mailing list on Alioth? (maybe dex-devel@? I didn't see
any, forgive me if I missed it)

--
 . ''`.   Debian developer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino