Fwd: Kicking off the ubuntu-packaging-guide project

I've noticed that our fellow Laney (Cc:-ed) has kick-started work on the
Ubuntu packaging guide; see forwarded message below.

I was then wondering how we could better contribute to the work so that
the guide is not only useful for Ubuntu, but also for Debian and, more
generally, for all derivative distributions.

Clearly enough, the guide as it is will already be good enough to be
used in any Debian-based distro for most parts by applying the
s/Ubuntu/$DISTRO/ substitution by reading. Nonetheless, it is the kind
of work that derivatives my want to "brand" somehow, especially to avoid
confusing newcomers that might not get the exact differences among
sister distros.

As far as I can tell, there are three kinds of customization that
developers from the various distros might enjoy:

- branding: i.e. applying the name of your own distro

- selectively disabling distro-specific parts (e.g. for most derivatives
  other than Ubuntu parts about Launchpad won't be useful)

- selectively including distro-specific parts, dual of the above, to
  describe stuff which is not relevant for Ubuntu

Of course, the above is completely orthogonal to credits that should be
given to the Ubuntu folks and anyone else working on the guide; those
should obviously remain in every flavor of the guide.

So, Iain, would you and other "upstream authors" of the guide be
interested in this kind of development? To enable it some sort of
support would be needed in the build system of the guide, so it's better
to check if you're interested and design it together.

Similar questions to the debian-doc folks, do you think it would be
worth to work a bit in that direction and consolidating a packaging
guide for several distros?

Thanks for your attention,
Cheers.

----- Forwarded message from Iain Lane <laney@ubuntu.com> -----