Re: Introductions

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 20:10:13 +0200
Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 07:43:40PM +0930, Karl Goetz wrote:
> > > [ So, while we are on the subject, I'm curious!  You might be
> > > aware of the fact that for the forthcoming Debian Squeeze
> > > release, the Debian kernel team has split away all (known to
> > > them) non-free firmware
> > Yes, I expect it will be a great help for us :)
>
> Glad to help :), and thanks for your detailed answer.

Sorry about the delay in responding - I was in transit to GHM [1] for a
few days, and just remembered this thread was still hanging.

> > While I know (from lurking on various Debian lists) that non-free is
> > definitely a 2nd class citisen, its still housed and built on debian
> > infrastructure. The claim its 'not part of Debian' does require the
> > person hearing the claim to have a working knowledge of D. the
> > distro vs D. the project/community.
> > (I realise that sounds a bit antagonistic - I'm not hoping to start
> > a fight about this, just expressing an opinion).
>
> Oh, not at all, it does not sound antagonistic.  Your principles are
> fairly clear, and I've no problem admitting that I disagree with some
> of the underlying claims. For instance I don't think that the fact
> that some non-free software is *built* on the Debian infrastructure
> should matter at all, as it can be built there, but not exposed to
> users of the free part of the system. I know that FSF considers that
> Debian is advertising "too much" non-free software, but I consider
> that quite subjective.

> All that notwithstanding, I respect your principles and I'm happy that
> gNewSense is based on a Debian-based distro, no matter which one.
> Welcome in the family!

Thanks! I hope we can become good contributors and part of the family.

> > The impression I got from the list archives was the children-distros
> > page was being kept for direct children. I'm happy to put together a
> > paragraph, but perhaps it should wait until we do a debian based
> > release?
>
> We discussed that a bit on this list. In fact we appreciate also
> grandchildren distros, as long as they advertise the fact they descend
> (indirectly) from Debian. When to submit an "application" in that
> sense is your call, but please don't forget to do that eventually :-)

I just filed a bug [2] to remind myself - I'll deal with it when the
switch happens :)

> Looking forward for collaborating with you.
> Cheers.

Agreed, and with you.
kk

[1] http://www.gnu.org/ghm/2010/denhaag/