Re: Introductions

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 11:19:01 +0200
Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 04:09:11PM +0930, Karl Goetz wrote:
> > Hi, I'm Karl Goetz of the gNewSense project.
>
> Hi Karl, it's nice to have you there, welcome to the party :)

Thanks!

> > The project aims to create a distribution that is 100% free, as
> > defined by the FSF. Releases 1.x and 2.x are based on ubuntu, but
> > for 3 we plan to move to Debian as our base.
>
> [ So, while we are on the subject, I'm curious!  You might be aware of
>   the fact that for the forthcoming Debian Squeeze release, the Debian
>   kernel team has split away all (known to them) non-free firmware

Yes, I expect it will be a great help for us :)

> bits to a separate package firmware-linux-nonfree, which is not part
> of Debian.

While I know (from lurking on various Debian lists) that non-free is
definitely a 2nd class citisen, its still housed and built on debian
infrastructure. The claim its 'not part of Debian' does require the
person hearing the claim to have a working knowledge of D. the distro
vs D. the project/community.
(I realise that sounds a bit antagonistic - I'm not hoping to start a
fight about this, just expressing an opinion).

> Those non-free firmware bits will not be part of the
> default installation image either.  Considering that, what would be

Thats great to hear! I'll admit I've not tried installing Debian for a
while, so I don't know what sort of behaviour to expect from d-i these
days. I'll try and find some blank cds 'somewhere' and have another go.

> the differences of gNewSense with Debian Squeeze, once the latter get

- The FSF and Debian don't always see eye to eye on a given subject. In
this instance we will follow the FSF
- gNS doesn't (shouldn't... ) contain documentation that recommends
installing proprietary (non-free) software
- We plan to provide all the GNU doco that debian moves into non-free
in our main repo (ref point 1)
- Debians infrastructure is better :p
(non exhaustive list, but hopefully it gets the idea across)

>   released? ]
>
> Back on topic: it would be wonderful to have gNewSense listed at
> http://www.debian.org/misc/children-distros. Can you please mail a
> brief description of the distro to the mail address reported on that
> page?

The impression I got from the list archives was the children-distros
page was being kept for direct children. I'm happy to put together a
paragraph, but perhaps it should wait until we do a debian based
release?
thanks,
kk

--