packaging guide for Debian-based distros

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 02:39:50PM +0100, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> I thought it might be interesting to get feedback from the broader community
> of Debian derivatives on this.
<snip>
> Hello everybody,
>
> Jim Campbell put work into a survey about the Packaging Guide. If you've
> used it and have comments, please check out his announcement [1] and the
> survey [2].
>
> [0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide
> [1] http://j1m.net/2010/07/13/updating-the-ubuntu-packaging-guide/
> [2] http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHZEVGFLNkROMnROQ2FBVUdjRGlTYnc6MA

I'm not familiar enough with the document to give feedback myself, but
I'm adding in the loop the Debian documentation team, which might want
to have a look.

Still, at a first glance the guide looks very good, and it might be
beneficial for Debian to advertise something similar. More generally, it
would be nice to have a "Debian packaging guide" not in the sense of the
sole Debian distribution, but in the sense of "how to package for any
Debian-based distribution".

So, here is the question for the Ubuntu folks: have you ever considered
having a more general document in that direction, on which people from
various derivatives can/should collaborate?

For sure there will be some technical challenges to face, such as how to
maintain properly distro-specific guidelines, preserving the benefits of
having the guide delivered via a wiki page. Before going there however,
I wanted to check whether there is interest in that direction.

Thanks for the pointer!
Cheers.