Re: CrunchBang

Apologies to Gerfried Fuchs & Stefano Zacchiroli, I appear to have
sent my replies directly to their email accounts. Doh. For the list,
my replies follow:
---

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> wrote:
>  Hmm, I'm not too sure - the page stars of with "CrunchBang Linux is an
> Ubuntu based distribution". From my understanding the list is meant to
> contain directly Debian-based distributions and not ones that are based
> on something based on Debian. The difference would increase and get more
> and more diverse.

Yes, sorry about that, the project is currently in a state of transition.

>  Hmm, so do I get your last line right, are the latest builds based
> directly on Debian, or are they just using Debian tools for building?

Yes, the latest builds are based directly on Debian, built using
Squeeze sources. The plan, I say that loosely, is to continue pushing
out "development" releases until such time as Squeeze is tagged
stable. Once this happens, I will change the copy on
crunchbanglinux.org domain to read, "CrunchBang Linux is a Debian
based distribution..."

I hope this helps to clarify. :)

 ---

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
>> I would argue this point the other way. Ex: the Nexenta distribution
>> is based on Ubuntu LTS, but definitely considers Debian as upstream
>> (It's even mentioned on the initial Grub screen).
>
> So, I think the difference is exactly in that. I've no problem with
> grandchildren distros, but I believe they should advertise or at least
> acknowledge that they are (indirectly) Debian based.

The latest Debian Squeeze builds of CrunchBang prominently feature