Re: CrunchBang

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 06:36:46PM +0530, Anil Gulecha wrote:
> >  Hmm, I'm not too sure - the page stars of with "CrunchBang Linux is an
> > Ubuntu based distribution". From my understanding the list is meant to
> > contain directly Debian-based distributions and not ones that are based
> > on something based on Debian. The difference would increase and get more
> > and more diverse.
> >
> >  Of course I don't say that I have the only saying on the thing, but I'm
> > not yet convinced enough that we really should list derivatives of
> > derivatives of derivatives.
>
> I would argue this point the other way. Ex: the Nexenta distribution
> is based on Ubuntu LTS, but definitely considers Debian as upstream
> (It's even mentioned on the initial Grub screen).

So, I think the difference is exactly in that. I've no problem with
grandchildren distros, but I believe they should advertise or at least
acknowledge that they are (indirectly) Debian based.

In the case of CrunchBang, I believe that a random viewer of the
children-distro page might remain a bit puzzled of reading first (on our
page) that CrunchBang is Debian-based and of reading later on (on the
CrunchBang page) that they are Ubuntu-based. If such a user is not
familiar with the Debian-Ubuntu relationship, they might believe there's
an error somewhere.

Practical proposal: ask (whoever is interested in having the distro
listed there :-)) the CrunchBang folks to advertise that they are
Debian-based "and in particular Ubuntu-based", and then add them to the
children-distro page.

How does the above sound as compromise solution?
Cheers.