Re: CrunchBang

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> wrote:
>        Hey.
>
>  First of all, thanks for following up to my dent - it's really
> appreciated!
>
> * Philip Newborough <corenominal@corenominal.org> [2010-07-06 16:26:14 CEST]:
>> be added to the "Software distributions based on Debian" list.
>
>  Hmm, I'm not too sure - the page stars of with "CrunchBang Linux is an
> Ubuntu based distribution". From my understanding the list is meant to
> contain directly Debian-based distributions and not ones that are based
> on something based on Debian. The difference would increase and get more
> and more diverse.
>
>  Of course I don't say that I have the only saying on the thing, but I'm
> not yet convinced enough that we really should list derivatives of
> derivatives of derivatives.

I would argue this point the other way. Ex: the Nexenta distribution
is based on Ubuntu LTS, but definitely considers Debian as upstream
(It's even mentioned on the initial Grub screen).

There's some reasons Ubuntu could be used rather than Debian as the
base.. in the case of Nexenta, it's the 3 year support that Ubuntu LTS
releases have.

Also, it is advantageous for Debian to show off it's grandchildren
derivatives, and receive the recognition, rather than omit this
information. My 2c. Or all the derivatives page would list is "Ubuntu"
and some other niche distributions.

~Anil