Re: Debian Smart Upload Server

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> >  If the issue is with pull versus push, why not simply fix this by
> >  adding some FTP upload hooks, or inotify-watching the upload dir?
> Whenever I've heard talk about this topic (smart protocol for Debian
> uploads), I've heard other issues mentioned. In particular, as an
> example, fast rejects, by getting the .changes file uploaded first, and
> some lightweight checks performed on it.

 Still seems feasible with FTP or at HTTP to me.  Consider that using a
 custom protocol will prevent us from using modern protocol stacks,
 standards tools, firewalling policies, intrusion detection systems and
 what not.  This is about pushing a .changes file and the files it
 references to a server, this can reasonably be done with an existing
 file transfer protocol.

--
Loïc Minier