Re: New name: Call for opinions

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 02:42:35PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>>> Well, we have this condorcet voting mechanism in Debian - I see no
>>> reason to derive from this.  IMHO this list + the lists of each
>>> existing project seems apropriate.  IMHO readers of the list are
>>> interested voters (yes, there is an option that you buy a gang of
>>> people who subscribe to the list and promote your favourite name - but
>>> I guess this will not really happen). Votting mails should be signed
>>> by a valid key.
>>
>> So in your opinion participants in the vote is readers of this and
>> related lists that is part of the Debian ring of trust?
>
> Make a better suggestion if you think this is suboptimal.

Suggestion for what?

I participated in the work towards concensus regarding a name for what
has since been described as "thingy 1". I lost interest when I realized
that the object of the debate was not only that but also other thingies.

I will consider participating in a vote, too, depending on its design.

No, I have no interest discussing (again) if it is better to limit the
scope of this debate to "thingy1". Which also means I have no interest
in discussing how to best design a vote.

>> Consensus and democratic voting is *different* methods to reach a
>> decision.
>
> Sure.
>
>> (and until you brought up the issue of voting I actually believed
>> that you wanted to avoid that and instead take the needed time to
>> reach consensus by open debate instead)
>
> I do not see any convergence to a consensus nor do I think that this
> can be approached.  I'd be happy if I'm wrong.  Please prove me
> wrong!!! I'd be so happy if that would happen.

What I wanted to say with my paranthesis above was simply that I am
surprised by your change of method.

I did not mean to judge any of the methods, nor the switch.

  - Jonas

- --