Re: New name: Call for opinions

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Geert Stappers wrote:

( from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dis
   1 slang : to treat with disrespect or contempt : insult
   2 slang : to find fault with : criticize
)

Ahh, this is interesting, but:

$ dictl dis
2 definitions found

From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:

  Dis
      n 1: god of the underworld; counterpart of Greek Pluto [syn:
           {Dis}, {Orcus}]

From German - English Dictionary 1.5 [german-english]:

  Dis

     D; D sharp; D flat; D double sharp; D double flat

So why not beeing a Greek god (even if he seems to be a bad guy ;-).
Well, actually I do not really care about these meanings - we pronounce
it even DISh which makes an additional sense ...

I think it is a waste of energy to rename CDD.

Well, compared to the energy I spended to explain people missinterpretations
of the name it seems like a really good trade off.  I'm really tired about
this confusion around ...

And it would a waste of my energy to attempt to stop the renaming.

;-)
Good point.

For those with losts of energy, don't kill
   Debian Med Project List <debian-med@lists.debian.org>,
   debian-edu@lists.debian.org, debian-science@lists.debian.org,
   Debian Junior <debian-jr@lists.debian.org>
to make the new
   Custom Debian Distributions <debian-custom@lists.debian.org>
a great "succes".

There will not be a kill of any of these lists.  I do even think
that debian-custom list should be used in the future.  The custom
is not the bad part ....

Use your energy to write better software, to marketeer the current name.

Marketeering the old name was _really_ disgusting and a complete
failure.  I jsut spend my offline time in the plane back from Argentina
to work on this ...

But your input was really apreciated anyway.

Kind regards

http://fam-tille.de