Re: let's etch a common way of using debtags for CDDs and beyond!

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 09:22:17AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> On 21-05-2005 14:35, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 03:34:12PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> >

> >>Imagine a Debian package "tweaks" with a big bunch of pre-seeding
> >>answers and idempotent (read: cfengine) scripts - a little like
> >>autoconf-archive but organized in OWL classes shared with debtags and FAI.
> >

> > Please imagine something else. The d-i has an explicit support for
> > language-specific tweaks at install time.
>
> I believe I then failed to properly express my point:
>
> All autoconf-based code projects also has explicit support for the
> snippets in autoconf-archive.
>
> What I imagine is a well-defined archive of snippets needed for various
> larger system configuration projects - whether they use FAI, cddtk, d-i
> directly, CVS maybe, or some homebrewn structures.
>
> FAI has such archive already, each snippet independent of the other, and
> all snippets organized to be able to include only the relevant ones by
> meta-expressions (FAI "classes").
>

> What is new is that I want this well-organized archive of tweaks
> _shared_ among several system configuration systems (not only FAI, but
> also distro projects like CDD and d-i, and also homebrewn tweaking
> setups). The keys to lift it out is IMHO to package it seperately
> (suppressing recommends of the larger FAI package is discouraging) and
> shift the organisation of the pile into one shared with package
> selection projects (FAI classes <=> debtags facets).

And you don't want to call those tweaks "packages" because?
Packages can be home-made. They don't have to come from an official
Debian archive.

Can you provide an example of such a tweak that cannot be expressed as a
debian package?

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com