Re: let's etch a common way of using debtags for CDDs and beyond!

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Alexander Schmehl wrote:

> How should I know, if the small game I maintain is suitable for kids?
> Has an educational value?  I don't have any kids, I just think it's funy
> to play while siting bored in a train.  So let this be done by people,
> who it better than me.

You dont have to know all the possible uses of your game. You have to
know that it is a game, maybe that it is an arcade-style game. If some
people happen to find that this game is appropriate for kids, then
they could submit a wishlist bug on your package asking you to add
that tag. They'll provide the rationale that kids are using this game
to learn to type or something and you'll say, 'huh, I never realized
how this game was educational and suitable for kids' and then you add
the tag to the package for the next upload.

This is the beauty of this method, you do not have to be all-knowing,
you can make a package-maintainer's educated guess about the
appropriate tags for your package, and then others will provide you
the corrections, additions, removals. You then harness the brain-power
of your user-base for "knowing" these things.

micah