Re: simple-cdd with local packages [was: Re: Bandwidth Manager CDD]

> > I'm playing with it now. The first stage is , naturally, to package it.
> > Both packages are currently avilable from http://tzafrir.org.il/rapid/ .
> > I'll see how it goes.
>
> After some more playing:
>
> I started adapting simple-cdd to support LOCAL and LOCALDEBS in CONF.sh.

i'll look at your patches when i get a chance... there are a number of
relatively simple improvements i'd like to make, but haven't had the
time and network access recently.

> Next I noticed that there was zero documentation about the requirement
> to run as root. Sadly debian-cd not only runs as root, but also edits as
> root files under /usr . OK. Let's hope It won't destroy my system.

i have never once run simple-cdd scripts as root, so that's probably why
there's no documentation about it :P

are you building the debian-installer CD from scratch, or using one of
the released debian-installer CDs?

> debpartial-mirror is *slow* and inefficient at mirroring. It seems to do
> the whole mirroring process whenever I run it. Thus running it with
> do_mirror=false is a must if you don't have extra hours to spend on
> useless downloads.

i had good luck using debpartial-mirror with a squid proxy, which helps
a lot.

thanks!

live well,
  vagrant