Re: cliff dump

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 12:46:57PM -0500, David Z Maze wrote:
> 'latex' will read in a .tex file and produce a .dvi file; you can view
> this directly with 'xdvi', or convert it to PostScript with 'dvips'.
> As far as beginner's reference material goes, I'd recommend installing
> the Debian tetex packages and then running 'texdoc lshort', which will
> bring up a reasonably good tutorial.

Neat!  Thanks, I never knew about texdoc and was wearing out my Tab key
autocompleting /usr/share/texmf/doc/latex/general/lshort.dvi.gz.

I have a couple of tips as well.  When I edit LaTeX documents I usually
have both a gvim window and an xdvi window side by side.  The following
vim mappings work great:

  map <F8>  !xdvi -editor 'gvim --remote +%l %f' %:r.dvi &<CR><C-L>
  map <F9>  !latex --src-specials %; killall -USR1 xdvi.bin<CR>
  imap <F8> <C-O><F8>
  imap <F9> <C-O><F9>

Hitting <F8> in vim will open xdvi on the document you are editing.
Hitting <F9> will run LaTeX on your file and instruct xdvi to reread it.
Ctrl-clicking with the left mouse button in an xdvi window will locate
the paragraph in your gvim window.

Marius Gedminas
--
Hacking graphics in X is like finding sqrt(pi) with roman numerals.
		-- man xdaliclock