Re: Boulder Pledge

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 07:44, Thomas Ritter wrote:
> Am Montag, 3. Februar 2003 13:38 schrieben Sie:
>
> > Good Web browsers can ignore colors and such in the HTML.
>
> Is there any? Not Mozilla, not Netscape, not Konqueror, not Opera...

Galeon has options named "use own fonts" and "use own colors" in the
"Settings" menu. It also lets you apply a custom style sheet, if you
wish.

> > It doesn't necessarily need to remove tables and frames and images, just
> > ignore truly offending stuff like <blink> and colors.
>
> for me, it MUST ;) This is definitely a question of taste! In Mails, strictly
> no frames, no tables and most importantly NO IMAGES. Have you ever been in a
> bureau working with customers and your mail program popped up a SEX
> commercial SPAM? Just accept that there are people who just do not want it.

That's easy to handle. I disabled image rendering in Evolution.
Actually, the situation is worse with plain text, as it is a little hard
to filter out ASCII art renditions of The Giver.

What's wrong with frames and tables, though?

> > That doesn't make it an HTML problem. There are probably legitimate uses
> > for specifying pixel sizes.
>
> Has HTML any problems? _I_, as I said, talked about the USAGE of HTML, and
> that IS a problem.

And you have yet to mention any usage of HTML that cannot be trivially
solved.

> > > It is no problem to write HTML so that it looks okay everywhere, but the
> > > reality shows _a lot_ of opposite examples.
> >
> > Most MUAs don't let users write raw HTML anyway, so we don't have this
> > problem in email. So much the better, for the reasons you illustrate.
>
> No, but as you should know, not all editors write proper HTML and writing
> proper ASCII is definitely easier ;)

It is easier to fix a few editors, than to fix endless millions of
ignorant users.

Alex.

--
PGP Public Key: http://aoi.dyndns.org/~alex/pgp-public-key