Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 10:35:08AM +0100, Thomas Thurman wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Marcel Hicking wrote:
> > > So I fear that all godd arguments for Debian will
> > > be simple overun by the faster and seemingly more reliable relase
> cycle
> > > of other distribs. Sight.
I had the big "unstable" name problem here, ppl translated it to "not -
stable (like atoms can be unstable and blow up any minute)". The mayor
fix is calling it either "sid" or in development.
Our servers here run on sid, since potato is much too old for us.
If it wasn't for my advocacy and for the lack of apt in other dists, we
would be running redhat now.
When we do a dist-upgrade, we do it on a non-critical machine first....
That seems to help, although we haven't had a mayor problem with
unstable packages in months.

> yes, but i think it's clear at this point that debian's "stable"
> would almost be better named "stale".  sure, you and i are happy
> to run unstable and deal with the occasional borken package, but
> most institutions refuse to use debian b/c stable is too old, and
> unastable is too iffy.  maybe it's partly in the naming, but they
> really are scared by unstable.
Greetz,

Ivo van Dongen