Re: spam and debian-curiosa [ot]

Adi Stav wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 02:07:44PM +0000, Richard Smedley wrote:
> >
> > Some 50 countries drive on the right, including iirc Japan and most of the
> > Middle East
>
> Not in here they don't (.il), nor in any of the neighboring
> countries.

You're quite right - I stand corrected.
Nevertheless many gulf states seem to contain an abundance of right hand
drive cars - I once knew someone who imported some - that is what lead me
astray.

> Most of the left hand side driving countries are third-world
> ex-British colonies, FWIW. /All/ of the developed countries that
> drive on the left[1] are actually islands

Which points to why Sweden switched over

> (or continets, if
> they're Australia). "Europe cut off", indeed...

Just found this site, with a (near) complete listing:
http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/driveside.html
The site notes that 2 billion people live in countries which drive on the left.
:-)

> I seem to recall that in Antarctica, they have an awful lot of
> road accidents (relatively, of course) where the roads cross
> between areas belonging to countries of opposite driving directions.

It's lucky that shipping rules are international then.
btw Sweden, UK, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Italy all have their trains drive
on the left :-P

- Richard

--

Richard Smedley
Production Editor, Linux Format

Telephone +44 (0) 1225 442244 ext 5038

"Now, up to now, my plan went all right
Till we tried to put it all together one night
And thats when we noticed that somethin was definitely wrong
The transmission was a 53
And the motor turned out to be a 73
And when we tried to put in the bolts all the holes were gone
So we drilled it out so that it would fit
And with a little bit of help from an adapter kit
We had that engine runnin just like a song"