Re: Developers by country (updated)

On 2 Nov 2001, at 12:43, Alexander List wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Marcel Hicking wrote:
>
> > I usually rip Lat/Long from mapblast.com
>
> Doesn't seem to exist anymore. They sell location services
> now ;-). Seems like more and more people realize the
> potential of combining location information with other data
> ;-)
>
> > Just find the city (they know Röcken if we're talking
> > about Röcken near Leipzig ;-) You find pretty precise
> > (down to street level) coordinates in the image URL.
>
> If you have an exact URL, that would be nice, 'cause I
> couldn't find anything like that on this site :-(

Well, it's http://www.mapblast.com

Unfortunately you are now forced to register first (it's
free). After that you can select country, street
(optional), ZIP code or name of city. Clicking on "create
map" you will get an image. If you take a close look at the
_image_ URL, you'll find lat/long there.

For example Röcken:
http://www.mapblast.com/gif?&CT=51.24036:12.11623:40000&IC=5
1.24036:12.11623:8:&W=456&H=259&FAM=myblast&LB=

You can get even more precise results if you zoom in to max
and than click on "customize". There you can position the
little cross "by hand". Again, Image-URL contains lat/long.

For example Röcken, corner Teichstrasse/Südstrasse:
http://www.mapblast.com/gif?&CT=51.24036:12.11623:5000&IC=51
.241312:12.114353:8:&FAM=myblast&W=456&H=259&DU=MI&MA=2

CT is lat/long of center of the image,
IC is lat/long of the icon / cross.
5000 is the map scale, W/H is the image size, 8 the type
of the icon (use 10 for none)

Cheers,
Marcel