Re: SPAM!!

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 10:40:52PM +0200, Robert van der Meulen wrote:

> Quoting Hubert Chan (hackerhue@geek.com):
> > I wonder if it might be possible to filter out the spam and not allow it
> > to show up on the list until it gets approved (i.e. the advertising bill
> > gets paid).  I know that spam filtering is a tricky problem, but we
> > should be able to cut back some of it.  Or we can do something like the
> > Progeny lists seem to be doing: non-subscribers to the list must have
> > their posts approved.
> Do you realise the amount of email sent by non-subscribers ? :)
> I think it's a great idea (and i've uttered it before), but you have to find
> the volunteers..
> Keeping senders that have had an approved post in a database, allowing those
> to send un-approved emails might work too.

I recall that rec.games.mecha's moderation bot did just that.  Except
of course that as a newsgroup it didn't have any subscribers to begin
with, but we probably don't want that distinction anyway.  (They
*could* make a bot that automatically subscribes before posting)

--
Adam Olsen, aka Rhamphoryncus