Re: tech-ctte: More specific advice regarding merged-/usr and implications of #978636

Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues wrote:
> I just remembered a pending MR that I'd say is a little more important than
> "good to have":
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian/debianutils/-/merge_requests/21
>
> Without this one-line change, /etc/shells on merged-/usr systems will have some
> shells listed twice and some shells (like /usr/bin/bash) missing. The reason
> is, that dpkg-realpath doesn't support merged-/usr and thus a workaround is
> needed.

Over the years, I've seen a few proposals floated to consider dropping
/etc/shells; this would just require dropping pam_shells.so from
/etc/pam.d/chsh. That would also have the side effect of solving this
problem, and making one less thing requiring maintainer scripts.

Would it be worth reopening that discussion, and evaluating the net
value of continuing to maintain /etc/shells?