Re: tech-ctte: More specific advice regarding merged-/usr and implications of #978636

On Mon, 2022-07-18 at 21:34 +0100, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> On Mon, 2022-07-18 at 22:10 +0200, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Quoting Luca Boccassi (2022-07-18 21:03:14)
> > > It was renamed following a request on #debian-ftp while it was in
> > > NEW, as the
> > > feedback was that 'usrmerge' and 'usrmerged' were too similar and
> > > thus easily
> > > confused. The 'usrmerged' one can be disregarded and will be de-
> > > crufted.
> >
> > I think that's very sensible.

> > > Yes, without knowing much about mmdebstrap, the diff looks good to
> > > me.
> > > I'd only ask that in the comment of the script hooks/no-merged-
> > > usr/setup00.sh if you could please mention explicitly that it
> > > creates an
> > > unsupported system. Maybe even print a warning when it's called.
> >
> > Running mmdebstrap with --hook-dir=hooks/no-merged-usr will now print
> > the
> > following to stderr:
> >
> > Warning: starting with Debian 12 (Bookworm), systems without merged-
> > /usr are not supported anymore
> >
> > > Also, I assume it is creating the metapackage on-the-fly because it
> > > doesn't
> > > have the downloaded packages available at that point? Not a
> > > problem, just
> > > double checking.
> >
> > That is correct. But I think it's not ideal if mmdebstrap creates a
> > chroot
> > containing a package that doesn't come from the archive. I now
> > extended the
> > hook script such that calling mmdebstrap with --hook-
> > dir=hooks/merged-usr will
> > first install the custom built metapackage, then install the
> > essential packages
> > and then upgrade to the real usr-is-merged package.
>
> Nice!
>
> > I think then the roadmap is to release debootstrap with #71 merged,
> > then upload
> > init-system-helpers that depends "usrmerge | usr-is-merged" and then
> > I test and
> > upload mmdebstrap including those hook scripts. Since those are just
> > hooks,
> > nothing stops people from using them with the mmdebstrap version
> > currently in
> > unstable and testing, so nothing should be blocked by this in case I
> > should
> > need longer to release an mmdebstrap version shipping these hook
> > scripts.
>
> That's great. Currently waiting on usrmerge=29 to migrate to testing,
> then the deboostrap change becomes mergeable. Also waiting on Simon to
> clarify a few things regarding buildds and the plan around that -
> depending on the outcome, the plan w.r.t. debootstrap might change
> slightly or not.

Hello Josch,

usrmerge has migrated to testing, and the deboostrap MR has been merged
and just uploaded to unstable. Do you want to do the equivalent upload
for mmdebstrap now, so that it's ready as well?

Once debootstrap 1.0.127 has migrated to testing we can arrange an
upload to bullseye-backports, and then ensure all the buildds are using
that new version. Then i-s-h can be updated.

There's also a pending MR for reportbug that would be good to have, but
doesn't need to block other progress:

https://salsa.debian.org/reportbug-team/reportbug/-/merge_requests/77

--
Kind regards,