Re: draft ballot: please rule on how to implement debian/rules build-arch

Hi!

On Sat, 2011-07-23 at 15:45:08 +0200, Steve Langasek wrote:
> BTW, another option for the long-term solution which we haven't really
> addressed head-on is that dpkg-buildpackage could detect whether both
> arch-indep and arch-dep packages are present in debian/control, and use
> build-arch *only* when both are present.  This does not require either
> heuristic detection (the presence or absence of arch-indep/arch-dep packages
> is *definitional* of whether a separate build-arch rule is relevant, and
> dpkg-buildpackage already parses debian/control), or the use of redundant
> declarations (i.e, Build-Options).  Should we incorporate this into the
> ballot options?  (For the avoidance of combinatoric proliferation, I'd
> prefer to decide this question by acclamation and either incorporate it into
> all the ballot options, or not.)

In the thread in debian-policy I also proposed [0] another small variation
for this, which would imply a two stage transition, reducing the immediate
simultaneous FTBFS. Jakub Wilk provided numbers [1] for the possible FTBFS
on the non-staged scenario.

thanks,
guillem

[0] <http://lists.debian.org/debian-policy/2011/06/msg00026.html>