Re: debian-ctte mailing list and spam

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:12:42 -0400, Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> said:

> Personally, I think we need a better heuristic.

	I agree.

> My ideal would be a combination of:

>   If the email is signed by some pgp key that we can validate, it's
>   OK.

>   Otherwise, send the user some token (with polite and informative
>   instructions) and if they respond with that token to some control
>   address within a week, forward the message to the list.

	Personally, I do not like this; especially since these may
 mean we are making people (domain experts)  who are helping us
 resolve problems jump through hoops; my personal practice in this
 matters is not to respond to these challenge messages (unless the
 challenge message was in response to mail I did not send, where it
 depends on the degree of irritation I feel as to whether I respond
 or not).

	I deal with spam on about a dozen debian mailing lists, and I
 see this list as little different. I heartily recommend crm114 to
 people who want to eliminate spam from their inboxes.

	manoj
--
I turned my air conditioner the other way around, and it got cold
out. The weatherman said "I don't understand it.  I was supposed to be