Re: Posting on the list [pasc@murphy.debian.org: Re: md5sum <FILE produces spurious ` -' in output]

* Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> [2004-05-20 19:49]:
> > 	Back in Feb 2003, this list was turned into a subscribers-only
> > list. This means that unless those people are subscribed, they won't be
> > able to post.
>
> This is to try to reduce the amount of spam.

This is not an acceptable Debian list policy.  All of our mailing
lists are open to non-subscribers and spam is not a good reason to
restrict one list - either we decide to do this for all mailing lists,
or for none at all; recent discussions on -devel have shown that most
people are against closing lists in such a way (which also meshes with
what people said about -ctte recently).

Various measures against spam have been implemented on lists.d.o
recently and more are planned when we get a faster box, so this list
should be opened again.
--
Martin Michlmayr
leader@debian.org