Re: The state of cross building

+++ Helmut Grohne [2016-01-31 20:13 +0100]:
> Hi Colin,
>
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 04:51:26PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Thanks for doing this.
> >
> > How frequently will these be updated?  It would be nice for people to be
> > able to upload fixes and see the effects.
>
> Thus far, these are one-shot rebuilds. It is the second attempt of mine.
> I crossed 1000 source packages last year and worked towards fixing
> tooling issues.
>
> Doing them more frequently is something I would like to see in the
> future. We already expressed that vision at the bootstrap sprint in
> 2014. I guess that jenkins.d.n could afford a node doing cross builds,
> so the missing piece probably just is having someone write the code
> (https://anonscm.debian.org/git/qa/jenkins.debian.net.git). I can help,
> but not drive that.

We also expressed this desire at the debconf mini-sprint (which I
still haven't written-up - apologies for extreeme tardiness).

I have got as far as aquiring a box and installing debian on it. I
hope to set it up as a cross-buildd, and as Doko says, once we have
that set up, getting the cross-status into the PTS is the way to get
it generally actionned, although that also requires us to have
reasonably cogent advice for packagers on what they should/should-not
do. There is some here:
https://wiki.debian.org/CrossBuildPackagingGuidelines but as ever
there is a lot more that could be said and that page was last updated
in mid 2013. Quite a lot has changed since then.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/