Re: pkg-configure and pkgconf

+++ Andrew Shadura [2014-10-13 13:18 +0200]:
> Hi Wookey,
>
> As you might know, I maintain pkgconf which is another implementation
> of pkg-config.

I didn;t know about that. no. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

> I remember you posting some information on changes to
> pkg-config packaging to improve cross-compilation. Could you please
> keep me informed about the details of those changes, as pkgconf would
> probably need to be updated too.

pkg-config has a file /usr/share/pkg-config-crosswrapper (which is just a script)

Then links to that called <triplet>-pkgconfig are created which cause
it to search the right paths for said triplet. (autofo packages
already check for such a binary and use it if present)

We think the right way to set this up is as desribed in this bug:
but the maintainer has not been enthusiastic.

The alternative is various separate pkg-config-<triplet> packages, one
per host arch, which ship the appropriate symlink.

> By the way, I'd also like to know if you have tried to use pkgconf and
> if yes, what was your experience with it.

Nope, as it is new to me. I will try it out.

Do you think something like the above crosswrapper is the right way to
make pkgconf do the right thing when cross-building?

Wookey
http://wookware.org/