Re: Installing a cross-toolchain to build ARM binaries

On 3 December 2013 22:42, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshepang@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried to install a cross-toolchain so I could build Linux kernel on
> amd64 (jessie) for my ARM system. I have this entry in sources.list:
>
>     deb http://www.emdebian.org/debian sid main
>
> When I tried to install gcc-4.7-arm-linux-gnueabi, I get an error:
>
>     cc-4.7-arm-linux-gnueabi : Depends: libgomp1-armel-cross (>=
> 4.7.2-5) but it is not going to be installed
>
> libgomp1-armel-cross in turn depends on gcc-4.8-base-armel-cross which
> is not available anywhere.
>
> I did manage to install these cross-build tools, from the same
> repository, and even built a kernel that now runs on these ARM systems
> some weeks ago, but not anymore. Is there something broken in that
> repository? I tried a few other versions of GCC, and still get the
> same issue.

packages in "sid" are not guaranteed to be installable, furthermore
they are affected by cross-arch mismatches.
Please use packages from "testing" (aka jessie).
Also please use armhf toolchain, there is no reason to not use that to
cross-compile kernels.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.