fai bullseye image vs image from cloud.debian.org

Hello,

I want to create the latest genericcloud bullseye image for amd 64 from https://cloud.debian.org/images/cloud/bullseye/latest/ but without unattended-upgrades and with qemu-guest-agent installed.

I checked out https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/debian-cloud-images and run make image_bullseye_genericcloud_amd64 without my desired changes hoping that it would be the exact same behaviour as the downloaded image from the cloud but I am having a problem.

I created 2 template VM's one with each image and I am seeing different behaviours when provisioning the VM through terraform by cloning the template.
Basically the cloud image works as expected when I set a static IP but the fai generated one does not. When using the fai image the VM gets a DHCP address despite specifying a static one and in general does not seem to get into cloud-init.

The template VM's are created by a script and are identical apart from the debian image and the terraform configuration only differs in the template VM being cloned.

Can someone help me understand what is going on? Have I misunderstood which is the correct make command to create an equivalent image to the one online.

Thank you very much.

Sent with ProtonMail secure email.