Re: help wanted, standing up mirroring sync proxies on public cloud

Hi Julien

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 12:03:18PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> DSA's looking into options to replace some of our archive mirroring
> infrastructure.  For context, so far we've been maintaining a few machines
> around the globe, called syncproxies, that serve as "hubs" for archive
> mirroring and push downstream mirrors.

You are just talking about the authenticated rsync and push stuff right
now?  Because mirror-isc.d.o for example does more.

> Would it be possible to work with the cloud team to stand up appropriate
> accounts and so on on one of the cloud infras Debian has a relationship
> with?

We only have a relationship with AWS, via SPI, that allow us to just do
things within reason.  We should ask them nevertheless just as good
measure, because that's a ongoing commitment.

> (One possibly complicating factor is there's some element of sensitivity
> because these machines host embargoed binaries for the security
> archive.)

There are some mails about that from January 2018 in the mirrors@
mailbox.

Some questions:

How much resources to you think you need?
Resource in cloud environments are usually tightly coupled.  You get X
cpu, X*Y ram and X*Z network/disk throughput.

Do you intend to make the syncproxy setup a bit more failover friendly?
So you can kill one and make another take up the work.

Regards,
Bastian

--
You're too beautiful to ignore.  Too much woman.
		-- Kirk to Yeoman Rand, "The Enemy Within", stardate unknown