Re: /etc/sysctl.d/01_ec2.conf sets vm.swappiness = 0

On Mon, Dec 06, 2021 at 02:28:35PM +0000, Phil Endecott wrote:
> On one of my Lightsail instances, which was created a few years
> ago from a Debian image and has subsequently been upgraded a few
> times, I have a /etc/sysctl.d/01_ec2.conf file which sets
> vm.swappiness = 0. On another newer EC2 instance I don't have this
> file.

Right; we haven't shipped that file since (IIRC) jessie.

> dpkg -S doesn't tell me where this file came from. I don't
> think I created it myself!!

It was installed as part of the image creation process.  Similar to
files like /etc/hosts, it is not actually owned by a package.

> Does anyone recognise this? Of course the issue is that I
> discovered the hard way that the system was not using its
> swapfile. The file has a pile of other configuration settings
> and I wonder if any of those are also undesirable, see below.

Most of the settings from that file were lifted from Amazon Linux, IIRC,
and are pretty reasonable for a default "server" class VM.  Even
vm.swappiness is a reasonable default, given that there's no swap file
created by default.  But nothing will break if you choose to remove the
file.

noah