Re: Next team meeting: Wed Aug 11 @19:00UTC

Here are my notes on today's discussion.

cloud-init bug #991629
----------------------

cloud-init in bullseye has a bug which causes /etc/sudoers.d to be included
twice.  This can break some sudo configs.  We agreed that:
- this bug should be RC just to help make it visible
- we will workaround this in the image build by distributing a modified
  /etc/sudoers which uses the new include syntax.  This prevents cloud-init
  from adding a second include.
- we will upload a targeted fix to unstable, and then bullseye after release
- once that version is available in bullseye, we'll drop the workaround.

Noah has already implemented and validated the workaround for the daily builds.

I looked into the status of release.d.o bugs for bullseye proposed.  There are
a few already.  Once a fixed version of cloud-init is in unstable, we can open
a bug with the request.

cloud-init manage_etc_hosts
---------------------------

We discussed the generic image change to enable manage_etc_hosts [1].  This is
useful to ensure the local hostname can be resolved.  The feature is disabled
by default upstream to avoid shadowing dns entries.  But we agreed to leave
this in place, since:
1) the ec2 image also uses this to fix the same issue
2) having the local hostname in /etc/hosts is quite common

[1] - https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/debian-cloud-images/-/merge_requests/260

chrony changes
--------------

Bastian has opened a MR to change our chrony config.  This implements support
for PTP on Azure, uses platform-provided NTP services for clouds that have one,
and falls back to dhcp provided NTP servers.  This config will not fallback to
the public ntp pool.

dhcpv6 bug on openstack
-----------------------

We discussed Thomas's report of dhcpv6 issues on openstack.  If a VM is rebuilt
and it generates a new DUID, then dnsmasq would not assign it a v6 lease.  A
variety of options were discussed, but the simplest was to change the v6
dhclient options.  This was already merged in [2].

[2] - https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/debian-cloud-images/-/merge_requests/262

Nightly builds
--------------

We discussed the situation regarding our nightly builds.  Currently, they use a
fixed version of the tools and someone must manually bump it to a new config.
No one had a good idea to address the downsides of automated increments.  Noah
raised the idea of having a notification - either a way to tell us when the
daily builds are using old tools, or perhaps to automatically manage a MR for
the bump.  Bastian said he'd look into the options for automating the MR
creation.

Cloud BoF
---------

It looks like we forgot to setup a cloud BoF this year.  Noah said he'd look
into the possibility of getting something setup now.

Ross