Re: Debian Jessie images are removed

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> > We remove the EOL stuff from our mirrors.  Everything using it will
> > break anyway.  So no, those images should not stay easily usable.
>
> Yeah, but we preserve it on archive.debian.org.  If we had infinite
> space on the mirrors, I doubt we'd bother moving it.  We have, in
> essense, infinite space for published images on cloud services (at least
> the larger ones like AWS and Azure).  If that ever stops being the case,
> we can consider what to do, but I think revoking things that may be in
> use should be a matter of last resort.

Agreed. And I want to point out that some subset of jessie is still
maintained through Extended LTS, so while it's EOL from the point of view
of Debian, there are Debian users who are paying third parties to
keep a subset of jessie secure.

They should still be able to use Debian's cloud images and enable
the Extended LTS repository.

https://deb.freexian.com/extended-lts

> > They need at least go from anything easily searchable.
>
> I completely agree that they shouldn't be searchable.  And if they ever
> are listed on a web page or other resource, it should be along side a
> prominent and very clear disclaimer that they're no longer supported.

+1

  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁
  ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋    The Debian Handbook: https://debian-handbook.info/get/