Re: Presenting Debian to the user at cloud provider marketplaces (round 2)

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 03:42:16PM -0700, Ihor Antonov wrote:
> - I often want to make sure that this is *really* the official AMI, some kind of
> link to the debian page that says "yes, this is indeed Debian's account ID
> would make me feel more reassured.

Yes, I agree that this is important.  At the moment there are at least
two other sellers in the Marketplace with "Debian" listings, and this
could be confusing.  A big driver of the development of the current
image build pipeline was a desire to declare our AMIs "official."  We
should be doing just that, and whatever else makes sense to clearly
label ours as the only ones directly affiliated with the project.

> - Next I often want to know when is the End of Life for this release, having
> that information in AMI description would save time googling it.

That makes sense.  It might force us to discuss (again) the relationship
of our projects with the LTS work...

> - The reason why I use Debian AMIs is because they contain almost no bloat (if
> you compare to how much stuff is in Fedora or Ubuntu), so having a handy link
> to AMI build configuration that tells you what packages are pre-installed is a
> nice thing IMHO

Thanks.  We have a manifest at this point, so this is probably not
horribly difficult.

> - I personally almost never read generic descriptions that usually say
> something along the lines of: "this is a general purpose free OS, with so many
> packages, and founded in 1815, and GNU and bla bla Linus Torvalds.. " but it
> may be only me. I would prefer this be replaced with something more concise,
> like bullet points. Example:
>
> Debian 10 Buster
> Webiste Url: https://debian.org
> Debian cloud images: <url to the page that says that this is a really official
> ami"
> AMI Configuration page: <url>
> Release Number: 10
> EOL: ~ 2022
> Arch: x86
>
> More info: <link to all the rest of the generic descriptions somewhere on
> debian.og>

Thanks for your feedback, this is all very helpful.

noah