Re: generic (cloud) image problems

On 12/30/19 3:26 PM, Christian Tramnitz wrote:
> On Mo., 30. Dez. 2019 at 03:53 Uhr Noah Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> I agree that current support is not perfect, but I don't think there's
>> any reason for our users to feel blocked by this lack of support.
>> 100% of expected functionality is available.
>
> I disagree with that. As mentioned several times, this is not about
> constructing the /etc/network/interfaces manually but cloud-init (as
> provided by the cloud image!) behavior, writing the network
> configuration based on supplied configuration data in a generic
> format.

+1

You don't need to re-explain, IMO, proposing a patch (merge request) to
fix the problem would work better, at this point.

> ** For Ubuntu a netplan renderer has to be used which requires
> a) a v2 config file which cloud-init seems to choke on
> b) some modifications to /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg to use a different
> network renderer
> I'm not sure if the netplan renderer is compatible with Debian's
> systemd-networkd

Last time I used it, I hated netplan. It's just another indirection that
generates things from a yaml instead. It's also very touchy, and quickly
fails to work if it doesn't like one of the elements of the yaml file.

Definitively, netplan isn't the way to go.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)