Re: Plans for Vagrant Base boxes for Debian 11 / Bullseye

On Fri, 2019-09-13 at 17:33 +0200, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
> Hello
>
> For the next Debian release, I aim to have converted the current
> vagrant
> boxes tool chain to use fai-diskimage so it can be integrated to the
> debian-cloud-images repository.
> I expect this to be quite a bit of work, as fai has its own learning
> curve, and the current vagrant box build process has many steps, and
> covers two hypervisors, VirtualBox and libvirt with kvm.
> Expected goals is to have the boxes listed in the Cloud Image web
> folder
> like Centos and Ubuntu. Also the current process of me building
> locally
> 12 images and uploading them via a poor ADSL connection does not
> scale.
>
> For his reason and because my own resources are limited, I don't
> intend
> to release old stable and stable point releases for Vagrant Base
> boxes
> during this development cycle. Vagrant boxes are meant to provide
> portable **development** environments, so I don't see a security
> concern.
> At some point the current vagrant cloud account, which I share the
> access with Antonio (Terceiro) and Lucas (Nussbaum) should be put in
> SPI's hand I suppose.
>
> If something here looks wrong, just shout.
>
> PS: I cannot attend the debian-cloud sprint this year, but thank you
> Tomasz for pushing the tedious organizing work ! Hope to see you guys
> at
> the next sprint !

Thanks for taking care of Vagrant. Do you think we should
discuss it during sprint (even though you won't be there),
or possibly on IRC (e.g. during our monthly meetings)?

And - do you need some help from team?

Best regards.

--
Tomasz Rybak, Debian Developer <serpent@debian.org>
GPG: A565 CE64 F866 A258 4DDC F9C7 ECB7 3E37 E887 AA8C