Re: Status of Debian accounts and legal agreements with cloud providers

Hi Bastian,

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 03:23:15PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 03, 2019 at 11:11:52PM -0500, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> > The attorney advice was specifically targeted at reviewing the terms of
> > service and getting some indemnification for some of the provisions of
> > the marketplace agreements, if I remember right.
> > I've just synced on IRC with the person who recommended this approach,
> > and I'll be getting the necessary context from them in a call this week.
>
> Did you receive this information?

Yes, and happily it's easier than I thought. In the case of the AWS
Marketplace, the goal is simply to remove an indemnification provision
that is there by default, not to draft anything new. The default
provision is understandable for the typical commercial proprietary AWS
Marketplace offering, but is badly matched to our very atypical
situation in ways that even Amazon probably doesn't intend.

So for this case, no lawyer needed on our end unless Amazon is
uncooperative. From initial consultations with David, it seems he knows
how to proceed and is working on getting me in touch with the right
person at Amazon. I'll keep prodding that forward.

Do you or Stephen know if the default legalese for Azure's accounts &
image publication/discovery services would require SPI to indemnify
Microsoft, or does the problem not apply there? If useful I can discuss
privately with Stephen, even via conference call during the workweek.

As for Google, any question of what changes might be warranted to SPI's
agreements with Google are not timeline blockers for this image account
transition/publication effort, since SPI already has agreed to the G
Suite for Nonprofits and GCP legalese. I'm also not aware of any
specific changes of this type to request there.

> >                                                          (3) do whatever
> > we can do between now and end of the buster cycle.
>
> What do you mean with "end of the buster cycle"?

Ouch, I see how my poor choice of words there may be concerning. :D I
just meant between now and buster's final freeze or release. I did not
mean to leave this problem unsolved until we're ready for bullseye. :-)

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
president@spi-inc.org