Re: Providing qemu-guest-agent in our images

On Thu, 2019-02-07 at 21:58 +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2019 at 10:17:53AM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > As a follow-up with the discussion about agent inside VMs, I wonder
> > if
> > we should install qemu-guest-agent inside our images. Normally, it
> > provides what Ted was talking about: hooks for freezing filesystem,
> > mysql, etc.
>
> In which environment would this agent be useful?  Can OpenStack make
> use
> of it?

OpenStack will use it to quiesce filesystems so that consistent
snapshots can be taken:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/quiesced-image-snapshots-wi
th-qemu-guest-agent

Some operators also use it to collect metric information from within
the instances.

Cheers,
Andrew

--