Re: Using FAI to build AMI on premises

Hi Julien

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 11:59:13AM +0100, Julien Patriarca wrote:
> I have an issue with uploading a Debian Stretch image to AWS using the
> VM-Import API. Indeed strangely as it seems, AWS does not yet support
> importing Stretch images using VM import ! I used to upload the software
> we at my company are building when it was based on Jessie, but I can't
> do it anymore until they add Stretch support to their API.

You can use the import-snapshot API.  We use that in our currently setup
stack and up until now it works flawless.  However, in theory this API
have the same restrictions, but the documentation is unclear.

> My question is, can I use FAI to build my AMI here in my premises.

Take a look at https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/debian-cloud-images.
It currently contains everything to build and upload images for AWS.

> Meaning that I can't use the Debian Marketplace image ?

We also provide community images.

Regards,
Bastian

--
The heart is not a logical organ.
		-- Dr. Janet Wallace, "The Deadly Years", stardate 3479.4