Using FAI to build AMI on premises

Hi,

I have an issue with uploading a Debian Stretch image to AWS using the
VM-Import API. Indeed strangely as it seems, AWS does not yet support
importing Stretch images using VM import ! I used to upload the software
we at my company are building when it was based on Jessie, but I can't
do it anymore until they add Stretch support to their API.
My question is, can I use FAI to build my AMI here in my premises.
Meaning that I can't use the Debian Marketplace image ?

Thank you for any guidance you could provide me with.