Re: Building cloud images using Debian infrastructure

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 02:40:31PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 11:53:49AM -0500, Paul Dejean wrote:
> > Second of all I imagine that AMIs and Google cloud images and other offical
> > proprietary format debian images are exempt from this rule, since they can
> > only really be built from within the appropriate company's cloud services.

I really have no idea where this idea comes from.  Of cause all of them
can be built outside of the respective infrastructures.  The build
process simply does not care where it runs.

The upload process to create a usable image inside the cloud systems
usualy can work from everywhere.  This is true for GCE (and properly
documented) and for Azure (and not documented).

> I have no idea about the equivalent AMI answer.

The sole exception is AWS, where the images called AMI are built from
snapshots of existing disks, which can only be created by attaching
volumes to existing VM.

Bastian

--
Phasers locked on target, Captain.