Re: Replace discover by isenkram in d-i, better integration with virtualizations/clouds

Le 04/12/2017 à 02:22, Thomas Goirand a écrit :
> On 12/03/2017 05:30 PM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> In the last years, Petter Rheinholdtsen worked on isenkram[2] with a
>> similar but a bit broader goal. I noticed it has better support
>> of clouds and that it will install some virtualization/cloud-related
>> packages automatically whereas discover does not. It also makes it easier
>> to install the appropriate firmware packages.
>
> Raphael,
>
> Could you give examples of packages that gets installed this way? Also,
> how is d-i related to cloud? The images aren't generated using d-i
> anyway, so I don't see how the cloud images would be affected.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Vagrant images for Virtual Box are still using d-i, if that counts as
cloud image.

However I haven't noted anything problematic using d-i on qemu for what
concerns virtualization/cloud support detection in my use case.
Actually I prefer the installer not too be smart, for instance I am not
sure if I want the installer installing automatically a qemu-guest-agent
package if it detects qemu as the underlying platform.