Re: [Pkg-raspi-maintainers] Common pre-imaging scripts in Debian (was: Re: Generating ssh keys on first boot of the image)

That sounds like a great idea to me. Could you circulate it a bit more widely, i.e. run it by the maintainers of the packages we’d want to participate, and eventually discuss it on debian-devel?

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Sam Morris <sam@robots.org.uk> wrote:
On Mon, 2017-03-27 at 08:25 +0200, Michael Stapelberg wrote:
> Thanks for the hint. I think it would make sense to fix this in
> vmdebootstrap itself, because it isn’t a Raspberry Pi-specific issue.

https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=rm+-f+%2Fetc%2Fssh%2Fssh_host_*&perpkg=1

It seems that every image-building tool has to re-implement the process
of removing SSH host keys, /etc/machine-id, /var/lib/dbus/machine-id
and so on before the image is actually created.

What do you think of a more general approach to allow packages
themselves to participate in the process of preparing a system for
imaging?

This could be a simple as having image-builders execute "run-parts
/usr/lib/preimage", that directory being populated by participating
packages; or a new "preimage" maintainer script, and a "dpkg-preimage"
command that invokes the preimage scripts for all installed packages.

Thoughts?

--
Sam Morris <https://robots.org.uk/>
PGP: rsa4096/CAAA AA1A CA69 A83A 892B  1855 D20B 4202 5CDA 27B9