Re: AWS EC2 new instance types

On 2017-03-06 14:52:14, Simon Whittaker wrote:
> Hi,

Hi

> I've been investigating the use of the new i3 instance types from the AWS
> marketplace and noticed that it is not currently possible to use i3 instance
> types with the Jessie AMI.

Yeah I just double checked it and it looks like at the moment those instances
are not available for us (for whatever reason) in our marketplace admin panel.

> I was taking a look through some of the archives and noticed that the Jessie
> 8.7 images have ENA support since mid-Jan -  https://lists.debian.org/
> debian-cloud/2017/01/msg00008.html which I understand is required for these
> instance types.

It's required only if you want to have full networking capabilities provided by
AWS. If you don't want/need this you can use standard drivers but as said
network performance will be different.

> I'm not sure what the process is for modifying the instance
> types which are available in the marketplace, is there a testing process that I
> can undertake or assist with?

Those instances are still built with bootstrap-vz with manifest from:
manifests/official/ec2/ebs-jessie-amd64-hvm.yml

in the ec2 provider there is a task called InstallENANetworking which is taking
care of this.
--

|_|_|0|                  "Panta rei"                     |

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x686930DD58C338B3
3DF1  A4DF  C732  4688  38BC  F121  6869  30DD  58C3  38B3